An addiction is anything that comes between you and your feelings. Love addiction is the addiction to the person in the relationship, where one is focused on the other party to with hopes they provide all the emptiness and loss inside.
Females have a greater genetic disposition to fall into the state of addicted love. They tend to more readily glorify their partners and see them as their source of happiness. Such women have not worked on their own identity and learned to provide their own sense of personal support and power.
Women are also more likely to be attracted by narcissistic partners and stay while allowing their sense of self to be stripped away, which also leads to the serious state of relationship addiction - often coupled with the effects of severe psychological abuse.
How to Identify If You Are Suffering Relationship Addiction
- Your days are based on 'what he / she is doing, saying and thinking'.
- You've lost interest in friends and personal goals.
- You schedule your life to fit in with his / her life.
- You go along with what he / she wants even if you don't agree.
- You begin taking on his / her identity and get involved in things you never thought you would.
- You often feel anxious, depressed and lost.
- Aspects of your life are suffering.
- You crave his / her attention, but enough is never enough even if you feel anxious, upset or abused in his / her company.
- You're terrified about him / her getting off a phone call or leaving.
- If he / she shows any level of disinterest you panic.
- Regardless of how you're treated you can't let go.
- You admit fault or give in to uncomfortable or unreasonable requests to retain the relationship.
- You fear emotional and mental survival if the relationship ends.
- You can't stop yourself from contacting him / her.
- Your behavior has reached 'out of control' levels.
Individuals who suffer relationship addiction often have unresolved childhood issues creating the intense 'pull' in an unhealthy relationship. Generally the individual is trying to resolve unresolved feelings/wounds by attracting an individual who causes the wounds (such as abandonment, distrust, abuse) and these old wounds are from childhood.
The best outcome is to completely cut off from the relationship and work on old childhood issues.